Responsive Expert Reports

Reaction score
Long story short...I am in the arbitration process with my general contractor. Both my general contractor (and his attorney) and I (and my attorney) have submitted our expert reports to one another and the arbitrator. We now have to submit "Responsive Expert Reports." I know that this is a response to the expert reports provided to me by my general contractor. The expert reports that he submitted are a joke, with no quantitative information in them and only the opinions of his "experts." Do I need my experts to respond to these reports given to me by my general contractor or do I respond to them?

Thanks!

adjusterjack

Attorney
Reaction score
Do I need my experts to respond to these reports given to me by my general contractor or do I respond to them?

Your experts should write the responses. That's what you pay them for. You're not the expert. If your experts have to testify they won't be able to do it based on anything you wrote and that could give your contractor the upper hand.

flyingron

Attorney
Reaction score
Again, just what the next step needs to be depends on what state they are in. Note that he's not in court, but going through arbitration. He posted more detailed information on another site. The answer is, if you have your own expert to counter the other report, then you need to file that now. If you just want to throw non-expert testimony or other evidence, that is going to be done at the hearing.

Expert witness testimony is handled differently than others by the AAA rules.

Taxing-Matters

Attorney
Reaction score
Expert witness testimony is handled differently than others by the AAA rules.

Of course, at least so far as the OP has said on this site, we don't know which person/organization is doing the arbitration.

Reaction score
Do I need my experts to respond to these reports given to me by my general contractor or do I respond to them?

This is a question for your lawyer. It is not a question that can be intelligently answered by anonymous strangers on the internet who do not know the rules of the arbitration in which you are engaged and who do not know the state where it is being conducted (and whose substantive laws presumably govern the case). There are numerous large and small arbitration companies, and the one previously mentioned has multiple sets of rules that could be applied in the sort of case you described.